Sunday, March 15, 2009

March 15 - kayak building course day 1

Today was the first official day of the kayak building course I signed up for with Brian Shulz of Cape Falcon Kayaking (http://www.capefalconkayak.com/). I actually began yesterday as I came down a day early to help with some of the machine tool prep.


Today we assembled and fit the gunwales and finished by making and fitting the tenons that inserted the deck beams. I am making a Brian Shulz “F1” kayak while Brian is making a Disco Bay West Greenland kayak for me. By the end of the day, we defintely had things that looked like they were kayaks in the making!


IMGP0400 IMGP0404


IMGP0406 IMGP0419


IMGP0422


After “work”, brian and I went for an exciting paddle down the river that flows by the barn – a few nice class III drops and some beautiful water falls.

No comments: