Sunday, February 21, 2010

February 21st - Chain Islets and Trident Angler test (18,19)

Dennis and I went for a morning paddle out from Cadboro Bay beach. I was in the F1 and we went out to Cadboro Point. The current was running nicely so we decided to catch a free ride to the chain islets. Our speed on this leg was mostly between 12 and 13 kph. (6 to 7 kt) (see the gray area on the track!). Conditions were wonderful – sunny and calm. there was a light north wind which made things a little cooler than summer but not by much! [14 km]

After we got back, I decided to take an Ocean Kayak Trident Angler kayak out for a test drive (I am looking for a fishing kayak). This is a neat little sit-on-top and paddles quite reasonably. Though nowhere near as fast as a regular sea kayak, I was able to maintain 6 kph fairly easily. I tried it with and without the rudder (which worked well) and also tried moving around the kayak. I also tried sitting with my legs over the side which also was fine. This kayak has a “rod pod” which is a centre hatch into which one can stuff all kinds of goodies into a relatively water tight area. I took it out into some light chop in Baynes and it remained a dry ride. I think it may be a keeper! [6 km] (http://www.oceankayak.com/kayaks/angler_editions/prowler_trident_13_angler.html)

ScreenShot281

20 km, 11 NM, YTD 258 km

No comments: