Sunday, September 04, 2016

August 18-31 - Maritimes (#s75-84)



Monica and I took our Feathercraft wisper kayaks to NB, PE and NS for two and a half weeks of exploring. I managed to get in 10 paddles and 62 km in total. There were a few days when I wanted to paddle but it was too windy...

62 km, YTD 698 km
overview of paddling locations - click to enlarge

#75 Hopwell Rocks - August 18

Monica and I went paddling around Hopewell rocks at high tide. It was pretty windy and weird paddling in "chocolate milk". It was neat to be paddling around rocks 30+ feet above where we had been walking the day before!
click to enlarge
8 km

#76 Riverside Albert - August 18

Monica and I went for a quiet afternoon paddle and enjoyed the tranquility of a river paddle. It is neat how you can be on a river and get such a different perspective on the countryside.
click to enlarge
6 km

#77 Bouctouche - August 19

I went for an evening paddle along the shore near Bouctouche.
click to enlarge
5 km

#78 Darnley - Cabot Park - August 21

Monica and I were staying at Jack and Mary's cottage in Darnley and I managed to get out for a few paddles. Jack and I paddled from "their beach to Cabot Park where Monica and Mary picked us up!
click to enlarge
7 km

#79 Darnley - Bird Rock - August 22

I went for a solo paddle along the shore to "bird rock". the wind was from the south-east, so this shore was fairly protected. I was able to catch a few small waves on the way back. You can see that my trip back was a lot faster!
click to enlarge
8 km

#80 - Millvale to Stanley Bridge - August 24

Jack and I went for a nice paddle down the Stanley River. Lots of nice properties along this stretch of the river!
click to enlarge
6 km

#81 Cape Breton Island -South Harbour - August 28

Monica and I went for a morning paddle around South Harbour near Cape North on CBI. There was a bit of wind, so we did not venture out into the ocean..
click to enlarge
7 km

#82 Cape Breton Island - Black Brook Cove - August 28

I went for a solo paddle along this shoreline. This was an amazing piece of coastline with great surge channels and bays littered with giant granite boulders. The pink granite was also cut across by black lava dykes and faults. One of my favourite paddles!
click to enlarge
5 km

#83 Cape Breton Island - Marion Bridge - August 31

Monica and I went for a sunny morning paddle on the Mara River at Marion Bridge, inspired by the "Song for the Mira" which is a favourite of ours!
click to enlarge
Celtic Thunder Plays Song for the Mira

6 km

#84 Isle Madame - August 31

I went for a short last paddle before packing up the boats on Isle Madame. There are so many more places I want to paddle out here!
click to enlarge
4 km

No comments: